Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Thing #13


  Zoho Writer would be a useful tool if you do not have access to Microsoft Word or a similar program.  It has fewer options overall, such as fonts and clip art, but if you're just looking to type up a standard, simple document then Zoho would work for you.  Zoho also offers a spreadsheet tool similar to Excel, which would be useful in the same circumstances.  Students who do not have these programs on their home computers could still complete homework assignments by using this website.  However, if you've already got the Microsoft programs on your computer, which likely also means you've paid for them, you may as well use those because they have more tools and options.
  I played around with Zoho Writer and some of Zoho's other tools.  There seem to be several options for collaborations and business use, which are all free to use with an account.  I could see this as being a much cheaper option than purchasing the entire Microsoft suite for business employees or classroom computers.
  When I checked out Google Docs, I stumbled upon Google Drive, which is something like the Cloud, that you can store and then access all of your photos, documents, presentations, etc all from any device simply by logging in.  This is a great tool for collaboration as well, since you could easily upload your part of a project and then others can access it from online and contribute and then upload and so on.
  Every time I try to access Google Docs, it redirects to Google Drive.  I already have a Google account, so I'm not sure if you have to sign up for Google Drive specifically to use the Docs tools or if I am just not seeing it, but either way, I couldn't really explore the tools.  Because of this, I have to side with Zoho being the better program.  Here's some playing around I did with Zoho Writer.




No comments:

Post a Comment